THE PHASE WHEN FAIRNESS MATTERS MOST, DIFFERENCES GET NOTICED, AND YOUR ENTHUSIASTIC KID THINKS ANYTHING, "SOUNDS LIKE FUN!"
The world of your Year-3 kid is highly defined. things are right or they are wrong. Someone is either good, or they are bad. And if you happen to give someone else the larger slice--you will find out pretty quickly to which category you belong
DIFFERENCES DISPLAY THEIR UNIQUENESS
Your Year-3 kid's brain is changing in some incredible ways. They are developing their ability to empathise, but they are still quick to put people (including themselves) into categories. They may be quick to let you know, for example, if they are "Athletic" or "not athletic".
THIS PHASE IS A BLEND OF CAPABLE AND DEPENDENT
You are entering the golden years of childhood. No one should have a favourite phase, but if you like this phase a whole lot, you aren't alone. Your kid is impressionable, eager, and excited about what you are excited about. If you think something sounds like fun, it won't take much to convince them it really is fun. (That may not be as easy in a few years).
Your Year-3 kid is keen for comparison. They love to compare movies, sports team, ice cream flavours.. and people. This tendency often leaves kids wondering just how well they measure up. The way you answer their questions, listen to their stories, and show up consistently will help you encourage their efforts.
THINKS LIKE A SCIENTIST
You help them learn when you... GIVE THEM CONCRETE EXAMPLES
WANTS TO KNOW "DO I HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?"
You capture their heart when you ... ENCOURAGE THEIR EFFORTS
IS MOTIVATED BY FUN
You coach their moral abilities when you ... PLAY ON THEIR LEVEL.
THIS YEAR YOU WILL 'PROVOKE DISCOVERY' SO YOUR CHILD WILL TRUST GOD'S CHARACTER AND EXPERIENCE GOD'S FAMILY
As your Year-3 kid gains more independence, this is a great year to encourage personal devotional time. Help them develop a habit of spending time alone with God. But, don't let their faith become private; continue having other faith conversations as you go about your days together
SAY THINGS LIKE :
"CAN I PRAY ABOUT THAT WITH YOU?"
"WHEN I FIRST TRUSTED JESUS.."(Share your faith story)
"OUR FAMILY SETS ASIDE 10% OF WHAT WE MAKE TO GIVE TO OUR CHURCH"(Talk about how you manage finances as a response to God)
"DON'T EVER TIRE OF DOING THE RIGHT THING." 2 Thessalonians 3:13(Repeat and memorise simple Bible verses together)
"YOU CAN TRUST GOD NO MATTER WHAT."
"EXODUS IS PART OF THE HISTORY OF THE ISRAELITE NATION."
"I'M NOT SURE WHERE THAT PASSAGE IS. LET'S LOOK IT UP TOGETHER."
YOUR YEAR-3 KID IS CHANGING
- Continues losing baby teeth including molars (9-12 years)
- Grows approximately 8cm and gains 3.2kg, typically in spurts
- Plays hard. tires quickly, and benefits from short "breaks"
- Needs 10-11 hours of sleep each night
- Concentrates on one activity up to 30 minutes.
- Increasingly aware of other's feeling
- Recognise patterns and symbolism
- May enjoy reading books both for fun and for learning
- Focuses on one thing at a time and struggles with abstract concepts
- Has a highly definitive perspective (things are either right or wrong)
- Enjoys cooperative, group activities
- Places a high value on fairness and consistency
- Shows gender preference for friends
- Starts to gather in larger friend groups and responds to peer pressure
- Tends to be enthusiastic, energetic, and impatient
- Overall feels more independent and confident
- Developing their sense of humour with riddles, magic tricks and jokes.
- May be quick to label themselves ("athletic" vs "not athletic"...)
- Needs to experience moderate challenges and success