THE PHASE WHEN FAIRNESS MATTERS MOST,DIFFERENCES GET NOTICED, AND YOUR ENTHUSIASTIC KID THINKS ANYTHING, "SOUNDS LIKE FUN!"
Cops. Detective, FBI, CSI, Barney Fife. Whatever the badge, your child will quickly apprehend and convict you for offences of unfairness. They may also report the offences of others, including teachers, classmates, or puppies -- if they detect a preference that isn't in their favour.
DIFFERENCES DISPLAY THEIR UNIQUENESS
Your second grader's brain is changing in some incredible ways, and they are beginning to notice, "Not everyone is like me." Until now, everyone was pretty equal. Seriously, what kindy isn't "the best" at everything? By Year 2, kinds take notice of qualities that make one kid "athletic" and another "artistic".
THIS PHASE IS A BLEND OF CAPABLE AND DEPENDENT
You are entering the golden years of childhood. No one should have a favourite phase, but if you like this phase a whole lot, you aren't alone. Your kid is impressionable, eager, and excited about what you are excited about. If you think something sounds like fun, it won't take much to convince them it really is fun.
Your Year-2 kid is becoming increasingly self aware -- aware of their thoughts, aware of their abilities, and very aware of their mistakes. Even though your kid is gaining independence in some wonderful ways, don't miss the internal struggle of this phase. The way you answer their questions, listen to their stories, and show up consistently will help you encourage their efforts.
THINKS LIKE A SCIENTIST
You help them learn when you... GIVE THEM CONCRETE EXAMPLES
WANTS TO KNOW "DO I HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?"
You capture their heart when you ... ENCOURAGE THEIR EFFORTS
IS MOTIVATED BY FUN
You coach their moral abilities when you ... PLAY ON THEIR LEVEL.
THIS YEAR YOU WILL 'PROVOKE DISCOVERY' SO YOUR CHILD WILL TRUST GOD'S CHARACTER AND EXPERIENCE GOD'S FAMILY
Your Year-2 kid may be starting to enjoy reading. So, this is a great year to encourage skills that will help them enjoy reading the Bible. Make sure they have a full-text Bible in an easy-to-read translation, like the NIrV (New International revised Version). Throughout your week, continue to talk about faith together.
SAY THINGS LIKE :
"CAN I PRAY ABOUT THAT WITH YOU?"
"WHEN I FIRST TRUSTED JESUS.."(Share your faith story)
"OUR FAMILY SETS ASIDE 10% OF WHAT WE MAKE TO GIVE TO OUR CHURCH"(Talk about how you manage finances as a response to God)
"I LOVE THAT YOU NOTICED HOW THEY ARE FEELING. WHAT COULD WE DO TO HELP?"(Encourage them to act on their impulses to help others.)
"YOU CAN TRUST GOD NO MATTER WHAT."
"YOU NEED TO MAKE THE WISE CHOICE"
"YOU SHOULD TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED."
YOUR YEAR-2 KID IS CHANGING
- Continues losing baby teeth (incisors and caniners)
- Grows approximately 8cm and gains 3.2kg, typically in spurts
- Improving hand-eye coordination
- Needs 10-12 hours of sleep each night
- Concentrates on one activity up to 30 minutes
- Logically interprets cause and effect
- Has a better understanding on time (seconds, minutes, hours, days..)
- Learns well through hands-on activities, problem solving, codes and puzzles
- Beginning to notice that people have different perspectives than their own
- May struggle in highly competitive situations
- Often prefers independent work and alone time
- Places a high value on fairness and consistency
- Shows gender preference for friends
- Better able to control their emotions
- Tends to be perfectionistic (easily embarrassed by failure)
- May confuse "I feel . ." with "I am..."
- Thrives with routine and clear boundaries
- Highly sensitive to harsh criticism tone, and body language