THE PHASE WHEN UNFILTERED WORDS MAKE YOU LAUGH, SCHOOL DROP-OFF MAKES YOU CRY, AND LIFE BECOMES A STAGE WHERE YOU KID SHOUTS, "LOOK AT ME!"
GET READY FOR MEMORABLE STATEMENTS
Your child is now a sophisticated conversationalist -- at least in their mind. With one year of school under their belt, they are quickly becoming more confident in their opinions and observations. You may be amazed and entertained by all the profound and uncensored things they say, like, "I stink on the stairs when I eat brown beans."
ADJUST FOR A CULTURAL SHIFT-SCHOOL
It's only the second year, and your kid is still adjusting to less playtime, more early-morning alarm clocks, and an even higher demand for focused attention. It's still important to give after-school opportunities for a little unstructured play, a chance to skip and run, to throw and catch, and to use their imagination.
GIVE SOME UNDIVIDED ATTENTION
The average Year-1 class has twenty kids -- some even as cute and smart as your own. But Year-1 kids are hungry for individualised adult attention and approval. So, when it's the end of the day and your Year-1 kid keep asking, "Look at me," give them your attention as freely and as often as possible.
Your Year-1 kid's schedule may be picking up pace -- from drive time to school to recreational sports to after-school programs. But with all the increasing opportunities to try new things, don't miss what your Year-1 kid needs most. The way you answer their questions, listen to their stories, and show up consistently will help them improve their abilities.
THINKS LIKE A SCIENTIST
You help them learn when you... GIVE THEM CONCRETE EXAMPLES
WANTS TO KNOW "DO I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION?"
You capture their heart when you ... IMPROVE THEIR ABILITIES.
IS MOTIVATED BY FUN
You coach their moral abilities when you ... PLAY ON THEIR LEVEL.
THIS YEAR YOU WILL 'PROVOKE DISCOVERY' SO YOUR CHILD WILL TRUST GOD'S CHARACTER AND EXPERIENCE GOD'S FAMILY
Your Year-1 kid is may be starting to read and enjoy books. So, this is a great year to purchase a kid's Bible. Look for one that is the full text, in an easy-to-read translation like the NIrV (New International revised Version). You will need to read it to them for now. Continue having other faith conversations as you go about your days together.
SAY THINGS LIKE :
"ARE YOU SCARED? LET'S TALK TO GOD ABOUT IT"
"ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL? LET'S THANK GOD FOR IT"
"A FRIEND LOVES AT ALL TIMES. HE IS THERE TO HELP WHEN TROUBLE COMES". Proverbs 17:17(Involve them in serving friends and neighbours)
"LET'S TAKE A NEW BOOK TO YOUR FRIEND WHO STAYED HOME SICK TODAY."Involve them in serving friends and neighbours
"YOU CAN TRUST GOD NO MATTER WHAT."
"YOU NEED TO MAKE THE WISE CHOICE"
"YOU SHOULD TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED."
YOUR YEAR-1 KID IS CHANGING
- Loses incisor teeth (6-8 years)
- Grows 5-8cm and gains an average of 3kgs.
- Able to swim, skip, gallop and move to the beat of music.
- Draws with considerable detail
- Needs 10-12 hours of sleep each night.
- Can focus on one activity for 5-15 minutes.
- Beginning to understand ironic humour and tells simple jokes.
- Often very ambitious and motivated to learn.
- Beginning to logically interpret cause and effect
- Wants to finish first (may be highly competitive)
- Can be bossy or critical of others.
- Needs guidance taking turns and losing well.
- May have a best friend (or may not)
- Tends to be enthusiastic.
- Benefits from relaxation techniques (take a deep breath).
- Expresses feelings better through play and art (rather than words).
- Deals with fear and anxiety by distracting themselves.
- Highly sensitive to harsh criticism, tone and body language.