THE PHASE WHEN NOBODY SLEEPS, EVERYBODY SMELLS,AND ONE MESMERISING BABY CONVINCES YOU, "I NEED YOU NOW."
YOU'VE NEVER KNOWN SLEEP DEPRIVATION LIKE THIS.
Maybe that's why every book on babies seems to be primarily dedicated to keeping them happy (stop the crying, please!) or helping them sleep longer (so you can sleep longer).
YOU'VE NEVER REALLY SMELLED LIKE THIS
When faced with the choice between sleep or a shower, there are days (no one's counting how many) when cleanliness doesn't win out. The smells aren't all bad, though. Just watch how long it takes Grandma to lean over and sniff a new baby the first time they meet.
YOU'VE NEVER BEEN NEEDED LIKE THIS
Your baby needs you more desperately, more consistently, and more frequently than at any other stage of life. They need you to feed them, clean up their messes, and help them get to sleep. They need you to comfort them, smile at them, and entertain them. And although the days are long and the task can feel demanding, only one thing matters most at the phase - you show up.
Birth is the first crisis of life. Your baby has arrived in a world where they don't know the language and have very little control over their body. But babies are quickly forming first impressions about themselves and the world. So the way you respond consistently, cuddle often, and engage their senses will help lay a critical foundation of trust.
THINKS LIKE AN ARTIST
You help them learn when you... ENGAGE THEIR SENSES
WANTS TO KNOW "AM I SAFE?"
You capture their heart when you ... ESTABLISH TRUST.
IS MOTIVATED BY SAFETY
You coach their moral abilities when you CONSISTENTLY MEET THEIR PHYSICAL NEEDS.
THIS YEAR YOU WILL 'INCITE WONDER' SO YOUR CHILD WILL KNOW GOD'S LOVE AND MEET GOD'S FAMILY.
Your baby isn't ready to make a public declaration about what they believe, but that doesn't mean you can't begin to lay a foundation for their faith. In this phase, incorporate faith into a few of your daily routines.
SAY THINGS LIKE :
"GOD, THANK YOU FOR THIS HEALTHY BABY." (Pray aloud while you are with your baby)
"JESUS LOVES ME." (Sing songs while you hold your baby)
"WE ARE GOING TO CHURCH." (Connect with a faith community)
YOUR NEW BABY IS CHANGING
- Lift their head and chest (3-4 months)
- Reaches for objects & rolls over (4-6 months)
- Sits up and grabs with two fingers (6-8 months)
- Crawls (6-10 months)
- Stands unsupported and maybe even walks (11-12 months)
- Is mildly aware of everything
- Learns through their five senses
- Has distinctive cries for different needs (0-6 weeks)
- Turns toward your voice (3 months)
- Mimics your tones and "babbles" (6 months)
- Understands a few simple words (9 months)
- Understands around 70 words & may say first "words" (12 months)
- Mirrors your expressions (2 months)
- Distinguishes happy faces from sad faces (4 months)
- Turns away from strangers to show fear (6 months)
- Shows surprise at loud noises (7 months)